Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The Resurrection:John 5:28-29 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.



Related image
THE RESURRECTION
The doctrine of the “Resurrection” is a fundamental teaching of Scripture. The Teaching of the "Second Coming of Jesus” is closely associated with the resurrection, as has already been seen in our last post.

The Old Testament writers made numerous references to this doctrine. Besides those in this lesson texts, Isaiah wrote: “He will swallow up death in victory...” (Isa. 25:8), and Hosea 13:14 reads: “I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction....” The Apostle Paul referred to these two prophecies in his great exposition on the resurrection and the return of the Lord (See 1 Corinthians 15:54, 55).

The patriarch, Job, knew of the future resurrection. In chapter 14, verse 14, he asks, “If a man die, shall he live again?” Then, in 19:25, 26 he answers his own question: “For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God.” David said, “As for me, I wilt behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when 1 awake, with thy likeness” (Psa. 17:15); and, “But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me” (Psa. 49:15).

To deny the resurrection is to deny immortality, or eternal life after physical death, in which case man would die like a soulless beast. The redeemed soul in Paradise (Luke 23:43) awaits the reunion with the body in the resurrection.

There will be two resurrections. The time and nature of the two will be differentiated.  And have hope toward God...that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust” (Acts 24:15).

 Isa 26:19 Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.
Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life ( First Resurrection), and some to shame and everlasting contempt (Second Resurrection).
John 5:28-29
 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29. And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
 John 6: 39-40
39. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
40. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
  
I. THE FIRST RESURRECTION (Isa. 26:19; Dan. 12:2; John 5:28-29 John 6:39, 40)
A. In Prophecy: The prophets spoke and wrote by the inspiration of God (2 Tim. 3:16). Isaiah was inspired to prophesy in joyous words of the resurrection of the dead in Christ. Almost two hundred years later, Daniel spoke in similar words, projecting the fact that there would be two resurrections, but not indicating the long interim between them, being one thousand years (Rev. 20:1-5).

The resurrection of Christ was foretold by David in his messianic Psalm 16: “I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption” (Psa. 16:8-10).

David was speaking in the Spirit of Christ—as though the words were Christ’s. Later Paul, at Antioch in Pisidia, used the same reference to prove that Jesus is the promised Christ (Acts 13:35-39). There is no surer proof than the fact of His resurrection. Had He not risen victorious over death, hell and the grave, His death on Calvary would have been shrouded in uncertainty.

B. In Its Fulfillment: The first resurrection has its authentication in Christ as the firstfruit. He Himself spoke of it to the Pharisees following His “Parable of the Good Shepherd”: “I am the good shepherd...and I lay down my life for the sheep... Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it [up] again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself I have power [authority and ability] to lay it down, and I have power [authority and ability] to take it [up] again. This commandment [appointment, or mandate] have I received of my Father” (John 10: 14a, 15b, 17, 18).

Earlier He had told of the resurrection of “the dead” at His command of authority: ‘Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear [now, and then] shall live. For as the Father hath life in himself so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself...Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth, they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil., unto the resurrection of damnation” (John 5:25, 26, 28, 29, See also John 6:39, 40).

Just as there has been a long interim between Christ’s first and second advents, so also, between His resurrection and that of the saints. He is the firstfruit of the first resurrection-the “full harvest,” as it were, is pending. At the sound of “the last trump,” “the dead in Christ shall rise first”-and only “the dead in Christ.” This will be the ultimate fulfillment of “the first resurrection.” This resurrection will signal a great change in the bodies of the saints. At present, though we are actually citizens of heaven, we dwell in these bodies of flesh. But this “flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God”-the eternal kingdom (1 Cor. 15:50-54).

Paul explains, “For our conversation [citizenship] is in heaven; from whence we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ. Who shall change our vile [fleshly] body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious [resurrected] body...” (Phil. 3:20, 31).
Revelation 20: 5, 13-14
 5. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
 13. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Job 21:30 That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath.
II. THE SECOND RESURRECTION (Rev. 20:5, 13,14; Job 21:30)
The account of the Second Resurrection is relatively brief. The “volume of the book” is given to the love, mercy, and grace of God in His dearly beloved and only begotten Son, ordained from, or before, the foundation of the world. He is “not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance” (2 Pet. 3:9). He would that all should have a part in the First Resurrection. But only those who love and serve Him by willing choice will be eligible.

Revelation 20: 5,13,14 makes it clear that the Second Resurrection will transpire at the end of the millennial reign of Christ and His church. After all the matters of that period will have been gloriously terminated, our attention is abruptly drawn to the doom of the wicked. The sea, death, and hell will give up the wicked dead of ages past, and they will face the Great White Throne Judgment and be sentenced to eternity in the lake of fire. As Job said, they will have met their “day of destruction”- “the day of wrath”-”the second death!”

John contrasts the destiny of both the overcomers and the wicked: “He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death” (Rev. 21:7, 8).
If you have never accepted or if you have fallen away from Jesus Christ here are three steps you need to take to be saved:



Image result for abc's of salvation

You must admit you are a sinner, confess your sin to Jesus, repent (turn from all you know is wrong), ask Jesus to come in your heart, and begin to follow Jesus by reading and obeying his word and go to a bible believing church that teaches his word. And tell someone what Christ Jesus Has Done For You (Rev 12:10)  
May God through Christ bless you!

If you enjoyed this blogpost and believe some else can be helped and may be blessed pass it along:

If you have a prayer request or have questions that need clarification please contact me at: neverstoppraying8@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment